If you have immediate financial concerns relating to travel or living expenses, you may apply to the Scholarships & Student Aid Office for In-Course Financial Aid. This is a bursary and loan program for Bachelors, Masters or PhD students based on demonstrated financial need. For first-degree students, parental income is a consideration.
Furthermore, if you are encountering undue financial burden caused by the unexpected need to access remote learning (whether this be internet- or equipment-related costs), there may be financial aid available to help; follow the steps below and be sure to indicate the nature of these needs. Please note that our email account is not the place to direct questions about technological issues. If you require technological support, please email itservices [at] ; for resources to help you adjust to remote learning, please visit http://www./tls/students/remote-learning-resources
Step 1: Submit an In-Course Aid application in Minerva
- Go to the application in Minerva under the Financial Aid & Awards tab --> Financial Aid menu --> Apply for McGill Financial Aid --> Apply for In-Course Financial Aid. Don’t forget to Update your Financial Aid Profile with new information since your last application.
- In addition to your regular expenses, the Resources and Budget section may include any extra and unexpected expenses you must incur for travel as well as any non-refundable living costs if you were away on exchange, for example, and which duplicate your living arrangements once you have returned.
In the Special Circumstances section, be specific about your exact circumstances and immediate financial concerns
Step 2: Attend an appointment with a Financial Aid Counsellor
- Contact the Scholarships & Student Aid Office by emailing student.aid [at] using the subject line “Urgent COVID Aid.” Please use your McGill email and include your McGill ID in all correspondence with our office.
- You will either be contacted by email directly by a Front Line Team member or Financial Aid Counsellor, receive an online assessment in Minerva, or you will be offered a Skype appointment with as little delay as possible. Check Minerva regularly for any updated information or instructions.
- Classes resuming online starting March 30th – When classes begin again your class schedule may still apply. Please make your financial aid appointments taking this into account and plan accordingly.
- Please make sure to cancel a SKYPE appointment you cannot attend so we can offer it to another student in need.
Do you have any questions concerning urgent financial aid, government aid, Work Study, scholarships or other student financial aid topics? Check our COVID-19 FAQ.